Pricing Rules Overview
Each pricing rule can be assigned globally, per account group, per account, per order campaign, per contract, or per price book. All pricing rules have page layouts that expose exactly the relevant fields for each type.
Every pricing rule follows the concept of effective date pricing, which makes the preparation of soon-to-be-active pricing rules far easier, as they can be loaded into the system at any time. The value in the Order_Date_vod field on the Order_vod object determines which pricing rules and Order campaigns to apply to an Order based on the effective dates of the pricing rules and Order campaigns.
It is generally expected that Pricing Rules are data-loaded using Apex Data Loader or another data loading tool. However, administrators can create a tab for Pricing Rules to manually create or update Pricing Rules in the application. If a tab is created, it should never be exposed to end users.
When entering minimum and maximum quantities in pricing rules, they should never overlap. For example, qty 5 - 15 receives a 10 percent discount, qty 16 - 24 receives a 15 percent discount.
When creating an Order, Standard Rules load when bound Contracts and unbound Campaigns are selected.
Pricing Rules include the following features.
Pricing Rule Record Types
- Brand Level Pricing Rules - Allow customers to specify discounts at the brand level rather than at the product level
- Delivery Discount Pricing Rules - Allows users to offer different order discounts based on the delivery date for each child delivery
- Using Delivery Period Rules - Guide the user on available delivery dates at the time of the order capture
- Order Discount Rules - Define value-based rebates, or discounts, on the product (SKU) or total order level
- Free Goods Rules - Define quantities of Free Goods given in addition to the Product ordered
- Percentage of Free Goods Rules - Set free goods as a percentage of a paid product
- Limit Rules - Define limits on quantities and values ordered and define default quantity values
- Managing List Price Rules (Default Functionality) - Define the list price for products that can be ordered
- Product Group Level Rules - Create a custom set of products rather than one limited to a brand
- Payment Terms Rules - Value used to determine when a product will be paid for
Additional Pricing Rule Features
- Associating Pricing Rules to Accounts and Account Groups - Associate Pricing Rules to specific accounts or groups of accounts. Used as an alternative to Contracts.
- Combining Pricing Rules - Pricing Rules of different types can be combined. Discount, Brand and Product Group Level Rules are additive.
- Pricing Rules with Product Kits - Kits represent a virtual bundling of two types of products and can be included in the Pricing Rule quantity and value discounts
- Chain Pricing Rules - Offer customers discounts on high demand products when they also order less popular products
- Up-Selling Suggestions in Pricing Rules - Inform users of upselling opportunities