Using Barcodes to Record Call Samples
Using barcodes to record samples simplifies the sampling process, enables easier and more compliant sampling, and allows for more accurate sample identification and tracking. To add a sample to the call report, end users can use their device’s camera to scan the barcode on a sample’s packaging.
For example, Sarah Jones visits Dr. Clinton Ackerman, who requests samples of each available strength of Cholecap and two starter doses of Restolar. Sarah retrieves the samples from her bag and selects Scan Barcode in the Sample and Promotional Items section of the call report. She uses her device’s camera to scan each sample’s barcode. Each scanned sample is automatically added from the correct Sample Lot to the call report. Sarah then captures Dr. Ackerman’s signature for all the scanned samples.
- When end users first use this feature, they must grant the Veeva CRM application access to their device’s camera if they have not already done so
- Both 1D and 2D barcodes that follow the GS1 GTIN Management Standard are supported
- Customers may need to update their packaging procedures to ensure the following prerequisites:
- Batch Lot IDs must be assigned to each newly manufactured batch lot
- Barcodes must be included on the packaging and be encoded with a Batch Lot ID
- Sample Lot integration must be updated to include the Batch Lot ID
- This feature only supports samples and products with virtual lot numbers enabled
- End users only need access to a product via a sample lot in order to add the product to a call using the barcode. This means this feature does not respect the following product type restricting section signals:
- This feature respects the contents of the Sample_Quantity_Bound_vod and Sample_Quantity_Picklist_vod fields on Product_vod records
- Configuring Call Sampling is complete
- Managing Non-Sample Products is configured for the appropriate samples or products (optional)
Configuring Barcode Scanning
To enable this feature:
Grant admins and integration users the following permissions:
Grant end users the following permissions:
Add the zvod_Barcode_Scan_vod field to the Samples and Promotional Items section of the appropriate Call2_vod page layouts.
Update the Batch_Lot_Id_vod field for all Sample_Lot_vod records with associated barcodes. The contents of this field are case sensitive and must match the information encoded in the barcode.
Adding Samples to a Call Using a Barcode
To scan samples from a call:
- Navigate to the Samples and Promotional Items section of the Call Report.
Select the Scan Barcode button.
Position the barcode within the shape indicated by the camera. If a valid barcode is detected, Veeva CRM searches for a match against the Batch Lot IDs of all sample lots currently synced to the user’s device.
If there are multiple matching sample lots available for a sample-type product, a picklist displays. Select the appropriate sample lot from the picklist.
Only sample-type products display in the picklist; products using No_Lot_vod do not display. For products with virtual lot numbers, ensure individual users do not have multiple virtual sample lot records with the same batch lot ID.
Review the following displayed Sample_Lot_vod fields to confirm the barcode is correct:
Enter the appropriate quantity.
- Select Add.
After adding a sample using the barcode, end users can add more samples or return to the call report by selecting the X button in the top-right corner of the screen.
Manually Entering Sample Barcodes
If a sample lot has a barcode that cannot be correctly scanned or detected, users can manually enter the barcode:
- Select Enter barcode number.
- Enter the barcode number.
- Select Submit.
Veeva CRM searches for a match against the Batch Lot IDs of all sample lots currently synced to the user’s device. If there is a match, end users can add sample lots the same as if the barcode successfully scanned.
Validating Sample Lots Added via Barcode
When the end user adds a sample lot via a scanned or manually entered barcode, the following validation occurs:
- If expired sample lots are filtered, then the sample lot’s expiration date cannot be earlier than the current date
- If Restricting Products by Account or Defining Allowed Products are enabled, the account or sample recipient is restricted from receiving the sample
- If Creating Sample and Product Limits is enabled, the disbursement must not exceed the limit
- If Restricting Sampling by Account Credentials and State or Restricting Controlled Substance Delivery by State are enabled, the sample must be compliant with the set restrictions
If validation on any of these steps fails, the account is not authorized to receive the sample and an error displays to end users. End users can then attempt to scan another barcode.
Transferring Sample Lots with Batch Lot IDs
If a Batch Lot ID is associated with a sample being transferred from one end user to another, the Batch Lot ID of a sample lot is included in the transfer.
When a Sample Transfer is submitted, all sample lots assigned to the recipient are checked for any matches on the following fields of the transferred sample lot:
- Lot #
If no records match these fields of the transferred sample lot, a new sample lot is created in the recipient’s name that includes the Batch Lot ID of the transferred lot.
Whether or not the sample lot is created as active or inactive is based on the ENABLE_RECEIPT_ACTIVATION Veeva setting.
If a record matches these fields of the transferred sample lot, the existing sample lot’s Batch Lot ID is overridden with the Batch Lot ID of the transferred lot.
Viewing Barcode Scanning Activity in the Activity Log
The Activity Log displays the following automatically recorded activities with a corresponding time stamp:
- When the user opens the scanner
- When the user successfully scans the barcode
- When the user encounters an error
- When the user closes the scanner
Using the Barcode Scan Flag
Users can view which samples have been added through barcode scanning on the Call Report, and admins can run reports on barcode scanning use—for example, how many Call Reports have samples that were added via barcode scanning.
Users identify which samples were added through barcode scanning with the Barcode_Scan_vod field on the Call2_Sample_vod object. The flag is automatically applied to sample records that have been added through barcode scanning.