A Key Medical Insight is information gained by Medical users via publications, conferences, or talking with peers, for example. Insights are valuable to Medical Affairs personnel because of their importance in the current market. This information can be captured and organized in Medical CRM within the Medical_Insight_vod object.
Examples of Key Medical Insights:
- A doctor publishes an editorial about safety concerns of a particular drug. An employee of the pharmaceutical company that manufacturers a drug that belongs to the same class of drugs meets with the doctor but realizes the concerns are not based on clinical experience. The employee notes that information as a Key medical Insight.
- An employee of a pharmaceutical company attends a conference where doctors ask him questions about a certain drug and its possible secondary effect on patients. The employee notes the information as a Key Medical Insight for further investigation.
A Key Medical Insight can be created as a standalone record directly from the Home Page or can be created from an Account, a Call, or a Medical Event. Key Medical Insights can also link to other sources, for example, a clinical trial, publication, or conference. Administrators can define restricted words or phrases to ensure compliance.
Configuring Key Medical Insights
To configure Key Medical Insights:
- Grant users CRU permissions to the Medical_Insights_vod object.
- Grant users access to the Key_Medical_Insight_vod record type on the Medical_Insight_vod object.
- Grant users access to the Key_Medical_Insights tab.
Activate the following Key_Medical_Insights Visualforce pages:
- Add the New Key Medical Insight button to the Account and Medical_Event_vod object page layouts.
- Add the Submit button to the Medical_Insight_vod object page layout.
- Add the zvod_More_Actions_vod button to the zvod_Buttons section on the appropriate Call2_vod object page layout.
Add the Key Medical Insights related list to the appropriate Account object page layout.
- Ensure the MEDICAL_INSIGHTS_RESTRICTED_WORDS Veeva Setting is enabled to restrict words or phrases listed in the corresponding Veeva Message.
- Activate the Medical_Insight_vod VMOC for the appropriate mobile platform.
- Grant users access to the KMI_Account_Selector_vod and KMI_Call_Account_Selector_vod VisualForce pages.
Rich Text Formatting is available for users when they create a new Insight to draw attention to key points in the description. After creating a new Insight record, users can Save or Submit the record. The Summary and Description fields are required.
If a user enters restricted words or phrases, an error message displays and the user is prevented from saving or submitting the record.
Administrators are able to unlock submitted records on the Online platform for editing purposes.
The Key Medical Insights tab displays tabular view of the Medical Insights records with sortable columns based on a user’s FLS to those fields. Users can also search for a saved or submitted Insight record by Summary, Description, or Account name.
- iPad | Online
Users can configure the columns displayed on the Key Medical Insights Home Page to help determine their priority.
For example, Sarah Jones has created the custom field IFU_vod on the Medical_Insights_vod object and displayed it on the Key Medical Insights Home Page for quicker access to whether or not a particular drug needed additional information
Configuring Key Medical Insights Home Page
To configure the Key Medical Insights Home Page:
- Ensure Key Medical Insights are configured for users.
- Edit the Medical_Insights_Columns_vod Veeva Setting with a comma delimited list of fields to display.
- Grant users FLS read permission to all fields in the list.
Columns display in the order they display in the list. For example, Account_vod__c, Medical_Event_vod__c, Publication_vod__c displays Account in the first column, Medical Event in the second column, and so on.
Columns sort in descending order by default for the iPad and Online platforms. Columns sort in ascending order for all other platforms.
If more than 255 characters are needed to list all desired fields:
- Create a new Veeva Message named MEDICAL_INSIGHTS_COLUMNS and set the following fields:
- Type - Custom Setting
- Category - Medical
- Select the Active check box
- Language - en_US
- Text - Comma delimited list of Medical Insight Fields to display.