Below is a list of items you must know to efficiently administer and configure the Veeva CRM application:
- Never delete or modify (other than the label) anything with _vod in the name. This includes fields, objects, record types, picklists, S-controls, triggers and packages. These entities are called “VoD standard”. If you delete or change them, the Veeva CRM application will not work properly.
Any formula field, or any formula within the formula field, can be modified. See the Data Model guide for a complete list.
- Never utilize “_vod” or "Vod" when creating or modifying Customer specific objects. This includes fields, objects, record types, picklists, S-controls, triggers, and packages. The “_vod” or "Vod" naming convention is utilized by Veeva to perform upgrade processing and there is a possibility that any non-VoD objects that have this naming convention could be deleted.
To allow end users to create records for a customer-specific object on offline devices, admins must create a Mobile ID field for the object and grant users FLS edit permission. The API name must be exactly Mobile_ID_vod__c. Additionally, Admins can create a MyInsights Modified By field on any object used in a MyInsights visualization to help troubleshoot errors. This field must be a lookup field to the User object. The API name must be exactly MyInsights_Modified_By_vod__c.
- There are standard fields that do not include _vod in the name. These field cannot be removed or deleted.
- The Veeva CRM application cannot be installed on an existing salesforce.com org. It is not a managed package. Because the data model is so extensive, it must be installed as a new salesforce.com org.
- To display products in Call Reports and Meeting Briefs, the “Company Product” flag must be enabled for that product in the Product Catalog. It also must have a level of “Detail” and be selected by the user in their “My Setup” tab.
- Consider pre-populating the “My Setup Products” object for users so that they see the correct products right away.
- If your product metrics are not showing up correctly, you have most likely misspelled the field name in the Metric Configurations tab. Do not forget the “__c” in the field name, such as “mymetricfield__c”.
- In order to set default values for picklist fields on objects with Record Types, you must set the default value within the specific Record Type for the object.
- It is highly recommended to not rename Veeva tabs as unexpected results may occur. If you chose to proceed, take great care (and test) as there are multiple dependencies within the Veeva application, e.g., you may rename My Schedule Tab to My Call Schedule, but you will need to rename the associated Veeva Message named My Calls as well. Otherwise, the Add to Schedule button in My Accounts will be affected. Don’t forget to clear the Veeva cache!
- Users who create records offline need FLS Edit to the Mobile_ID field on the object to which they are creating the record
If you make a configuration change to a Veeva CRM specific component, including FLS, such as modification of the Call Reports or Meeting Briefs, or change or update the user's profile, you must clear the cache for all users via the Clear Veeva Cache tab or the Clear Cache button on the Veeva Message tab. This is because the page layout and object description is cached by User Profiles in the Veeva user interface server to increase performance. This also aids in avoiding sync errors.
Do not modify the Company Language of your org. It should remain English (US) in order to ensure Veeva upgrades can be completed.