Capturing GPS Coordinates on the Call Report
- CRM Desktop ( Mac (Sandbox Beta), Windows)
- Windows Tablet
The Check In button enables users to capture GPS coordinates on the call report for the location where check in was performed. The GPS coordinates are then stamped on the call report when the call is saved or submitted. In addition, GPS coordinates can be automatically stamped on the call report when the call is submitted, a signature is captured, or CLM is shown. Capturing GPS location coordinates at key points in the call--for example, check in, signature capture, and call report submission--helps maintain compliance with regulations and ensure the user completed the call as described on the call report.
For example, Sarah Jones creates a call for Dr. Ackerman. When she arrives at his office, she selects the Check In button on the call report to capture the GPS coordinates for the call. When she saves the call report, the coordinates for her location at check in are stamped on the call record.
Configuring GPS Coordinates on the Call Report
Ensure initial configuration is complete before enabling this functionality.
To enable capturing GPS coordinates on the call report:
- Ensure the check box for the Enable Location Services Veeva Setting is checked to allow GPS tracking for Call Signature, CLM, and Submit Location.
- Ensure users have FLS permissions to the Latitude_vod and Longitude_vod fields on the Address_vod object.
- Add the zvod_Check_In_vod marker field in the same section as the Address_vod field, below the Address, to the appropriate page layouts on the Call2_vod object. This adds the Check-In button to the page.
- Grant the appropriate users FLS edit permission to the following fields on the Call2_vod object:
- Grant user profiles record type access to the following picklist values on the Call Report record type on the Call2_vod object:
GPS fields must be read-only on all page layouts.
For Group Calls and Unique Activities, the zvod_Check_In field must be placed in the Parent Call section.
Configuring GPS Coordinate Capture on Submit
If users capture location information when submitting calls, provide FLS edit permission to the following fields on the Call2_vod object:
Configuring GPS Coordinate Capture on Signature Capture
If users capture location information when capturing signatures, provide FLS edit permission to the following fields on the Call2_vod object:
GPS Coordinate Capture from CLM is not supported on Windows Tablet.
If users capture location information from CLM, provide FLS edit permission to the following fields on the Call2_vod object:
When the user taps the Done button on the CLM content, the GPS information is stamped on the call to the CLM specific fields.
Using GPS Coordinates on the Call Report
Users can select the Check In button from the call report to capture their current GPS coordinates. The Check In button indicates whether the user was successfully checked in.
If there is no internet connection, an error message displays. If the user does not select the button to check in and submits the call, location information is still captured. Also, if enabled, location information is captured when submitting the call report, capturing a signature, and showing CLM content.
If the user creates a group call with Unique Activities with multiple attendees and check ins, location information is captured for each attendee call report. The same information is captured for the parent call/account as well as for individual child calls.
- Location Services must be enabled and an internet connection is required. It is best practice to train users to keep location services enabled on their device, as this cannot be controlled through a configuration profile.
- If an account’s address is edited after the Latitude_vod and Longitude_vod fields are populated on the Address object via GPS stamping, the Latitude_vod and Longitude_vod fields are cleared by the system. If an account address needs to be updated and GPS stamping is enabled, an admin must update the Latitude_vod and Longitude_vod fields for the new address.
- See Stamping the Signature Location on the Call Report for more information on capturing GPS coordinates for signatures